Friday, September 25, 2015

Solicitors

You know there's a sign outside my neighborhood that says, "no flyers or soliciting," I don't live in one of those snooty, fancy gated communities where all the neighbors are freeloading and spying on each other and every time someone new moves in, there's a whole line of people giving that person baked goods.  I'd hate to live in one of those communities. The one problem that I have with my community is that there's a lot of soliciting, (which by the way is against the community's rules as stated by the sign outside the entrance to the community, which is nice because I don't have to hang a frightening, "no solicitors" sign outside my door like I'm some sort of antisocial jackass who hates his neighbors.)  Now I don't have Jahovah's witnesses, I have the people sticking advertisements in every nook and cranny on the property.

They'll put it in the flag of the mailbox (because obviously that's what the mailbox flag is for,) they'll put it on my doorknob, and I'm pretty sure they want to shove some up my ass so that I can see 'em when I take a shit.  It's like they want me to worship and bow down to them and say, “every time I go to my mailbox, it's not to get my mail, it's to look at your advertisements!”

And that's weird too because if I were to look at all of their advertisements and they affected me, they'd probably backfire in the following way: if I saw an ad for a cheap LCD projector, I probably would buy an LCD projector (again, if the adverts had affected me, which they probably wouldn't.)  However, I probably wouldn't buy that cheap LCD projector, because I wouldn't want play into their game; I'd probably say to myself, "wow, LCD projectors are getting cheap, let me see what the best deal is."  And then I would check online to see what features I wanted in an LCD projector and find the cheapest projector for my needs, and that projector would probably not end up being the same projector that was in the ad.

Now to be fair I once bought a product from a banner ad and I was satisfied with the product, but the thing about banner ads is that I don't think banner ads should be distracting like they are today.  I use an ad-blocking ad-on on my browser and it filters out all of the ad except for the ones that comply with a set of reasonable rules that they thought up and I find those rules to be reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment